Washington CE Requirements
• Registered Dental Assistant
• Expanded Function Dental Assistant
CE Required: Complete one hour of current infection prevention standards education annually provided by a qualified individual or organization.
Infection prevention standards education must include:
(a) Standard precautions and prevention of disease transmission;
(b) Prevention of cross-contamination;
(c) Practitioner safety and personal protection equipment;
(d) Hand hygiene;
(e) Respiratory hygiene and cough etiquette;
(f) Sharps safety and safe injection practices;
(g) Sterilization and disinfection of patient care items and devices;
(h) Environmental infection prevention and control;
(i) Dental unit water quality; and
(j) The requirements in the infection control rules found in the Washington Administrative Code (WAC 246-817-601 through 246-817-660).
Dental Anesthesia Assistant
CE Required: 12 hours every three years
Required Topics: Continuing education must involve direct application of dental anesthesia assistant knowledge and skills in one or more of the following categories:
(a) General anesthesia
(b) Moderate sedation
(c) Physical evaluation
(d) Medical emergencies
(e) Health care provider basic life support (BLS), advanced cardiac life support (ACLS), or pediatric advanced life support (PALS);
(f) Monitoring and use of monitoring equipment
(g) Pharmacology of drugs; and agents used in sedation and anesthesia
- A maximum of two hours may be obtained through self-study using books, research materials, and other publications.
- A maximum of two hours may be obtained through self-study using multimedia devices.
- A maximum of four hours may be obtained through distance learning, which includes, but is not limited to, correspondence courses, webinars, print, audio/video broadcasting, audio/video teleconferencing, computer aided instruction, e-learning/online
learning, or computer broadcasting/webcasting.
Additional Requirement: A dental anesthesia assistant must complete one hour of current infection prevention standards education annually provided by a qualified individual or organization (see list under “Registered Dental Assistant” and “Expanded Function Dental Assistant” above for required content of educational program).