California CE Requirements
The state of California requires continuing education (CE) for dental assistants who hold any of the following licenses or permits:
• Registered Dental Assistant (RDA)
• Registered Dental Assistant in Extended Functions (RDAEF)
• Orthodontic Assistant Permit Holder
• Dental Sedation Assistant Permit Holder
# CE Required: 25 units every 2 years (one unit = one hour of contact instruction)
- Infection control from an approved provider: 2 units
- California Dental Practice Act and related regulations: 2 units
- Basic Life Support: up to 4 units
More Information: California Licensing Website
- Dental assisting licensees renewing for the first time are exempt from continuing education requirements.
- No more than 12.5 units of CE can be taken from home study or non-live instruction. Interactive courses such as live videoconferencing, live lecture, and live workshop demonstrations may be used for all of the required units except for Basic Life Support course.