Expanded Function Dental Assistant career opportunities

Understand what it means to be an Expanded Function Dental Assistant, and how to get there.

How to Become an Expanded Function Dental Assistant

If you are looking for a new way to take on more responsibilities or earn a higher dental assistant salary, you might be considering becoming an Expanded Functions Dental Assistant. To do this, you first need to figure out what that role is called in your state, and what requirements are needed to get there.

Believe it or not, there are 41 different job titles for dental assistants in the United States! In some states for example, an Expanded Function Dental Assistant is called an Expanded Duty Dental Assistant, while other states call this role a Licensed Dental Assistant or a Registered Dental Assistants with Expanded Functions (RDAEF). Some states have only one level of dental assistant, while other states have up to five different levels and job titles!

To help you understand your state regulations, check out our State Dental Assistant Requirements page. It will give you a breakdown of job titles, requirements, and the duties that are allowed at each level.

Once you do, here are a couple of ways to take on more at work and expand your career:

Earn DANB’s Certified Dental Assistant (CDA) certification
Chances are you live in a state where earning your dental assistant certification could help you perform more dental assisting functions, and give you professional recognition and career growth potential. Click here to learn how to earn DANB’s CDA certification.

Earn DANB’s Certified Preventive Functions Dental Assistant (CPFDA) certification
DANB’s CPFDA certification covers preventive functions, including coronal polish, sealants, topical fluoride, and topical anesthetic. In some states, these functions are considered expanded duties. If this sounds like a good match for you, click here to learn how about DANB’s CPFDA certification.

Earn DANB’s Certified Restorative Functions Dental Assistant (CRFDA) certification
DANB’s CRFDA certification covers some more advanced duties, such as restorative functions, impressions, temporaries, and more. If you’re interested in demonstrating your knowledge in these areas, consider pursuing DANB’s CRFDA certification. Click here to visit DANB’s website to learn more.

For questions about becoming an Expanded Function Dental Assistant, check out our FAQs, or contact us.

Prefer to talk over the phone? Give us a call! 1-877-510-3253