To legally operate dental x-ray equipment and perform dental radiographic procedures in Arizona, a dental assistant must meet the requirements shown below.
A dental assistant must hold a current Arizona Board-approved certificate in radiology. To obtain a certificate, one must:
1a. Pass the national DANB Radiation Health and Safety (RHS) exam, and
1b. Receive the Arizona Radiologic Proficiency Certificate, issued by DANB, OR
2a. Be currently certified in another U.S. jurisdiction that requires successful completion of a written and clinical dental radiography exam, and
2b. Apply to the Arizona State Board of Dental Examiners (ASBDE) for Dental Assistant Radiography Certification by Credential and receive the Arizona Radiologic Proficiency Certificate, issued by the ASBDE.
Note: Arizona no longer requires dental assistants to take the Arizona Clinical Radiologic Proficiency Exam as a requirement for earning the Arizona Radiologic Proficiency Certificate, effective Jan. 1, 2011. Dental Assistants who passed the RHS exam prior to Jan. 1, 2011, but have not passed the clinical exam may call DANB at 1-800-367-3262 for information on how to obtain an Arizona Radiologic Proficiency Certificate.
Dental Assisting Job Titles and Requirements for Each Level
A dental assistant in the state of Arizona may perform basic supportive dental procedures specified by the state dental practice act under the direct supervision of a licensed dentist.
There are no education or training requirements for this level of dental assisting.
Dental Assistant Qualified in Coronal Polishing
To perform coronal polishing procedures in the state of Arizona under the general supervision of a licensed dentist, a dental assistant must hold an Arizona Coronal Polishing Certificate. To qualify, one must:
1. Pass DANB's Coronal Polish exam found in the "Coronal Polish Exam for Arizona Residents" (CPEAR) [Form A] application packet (administered by DANB), AND
2. Submit an Arizona Coronal Polishing Clinical Skills Affidavit [Form B] completed by a licensed dentist or coronal polishing educator/course instructor, AND
3. Receive the Arizona Coronal Polishing Certificate, sent upon successful completion of the DANB Coronal Polish exam and submission of the Arizona Coronal Polishing Clinical Skills Affidavit to DANB.
Learn More about DANB's Coronal Polish Exam for Arizona Residents (CPEAR) [Forms A & B]
Expanded Function Dental Assistant
To perform specified restorative functions in Arizona under the supervision of a licensed dentist, a dental assistant must hold an Arizona Expanded Function – Restorative Certificate. To qualify, one must:
1. Hold the Arizona Coronal Polishing certificate and the Arizona Radiologic Proficiency certificate (see requirements above), AND
2. Successfully complete an ASBDE-approved EFDA training course at a Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA)-accredited program, AND
3. Pass DANB’s AMP, TMP and RF exams, AND
4. Under the supervision of a licensed dentist, perform restorative procedures required by the ASBDE (place, contour and finish 20 direct restorations and place and cement five prefabricated crowns, following the preparation of the tooth by a licensed dentist) and document these procedures on a Licensed Dentist Endorsement form, AND
5. Apply to DANB for the Arizona Expanded Functions – Restorative Certificate.
Arizona Expanded Functions – Restorative Exam and Certificate Application (PDF)